Monday, October 10, 2011

She Moves Me

This song is written about Bonnie Raitt. I have a soft spot for great female blues and jazz singers. On my last album there was a song called I Can Never Know that was my tribute to Joni Mitchell, Billie Holiday and Nina Simone.

The sound of this song was influenced greatly by Gregory Alan Isakov. His album This Empty Northern Hemisphere was in our car's CD player for seriously a year straight. It is a perfect album. I don't know that I've listened to any album that consistently since Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainwright.
I first saw Gregory at a small show in Fort Collins, Colorado about 6 years ago with probably 5 people there. I checked out his show because all of the local musicians in town were all in agreement that he was better than they were lol. I recently saw him play in Evanston, IL and the place was packed and silent. Check out his music.

Because of his influence I was planning on making my album very mellow. However, slowly but surely my own personality took over the writing process. I guess I can only be myself whether I like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment